Internship Arcadis – River Engineering and Modelling Yangon – Myanmar
Tanya Huizer – Project Manager Water & Environment Myanmar
IADS Ayeyarwady Delta Project Office in Myanmar, No-400 Lower Pazundaung Road, Pazundaung township, Yangon, Myanmar
August 1, 2018 – 31 December, 2018
Arcadis has a team of young engineers and project managers working from the IADS Project office in Yangon, Myanmar. The team works on various water and environment projects and is currently looking for an intern who can work together with the team members on one of our projects named: ‘Bank and bed protection Ayeyarwady River at Nyaungdon’. The project starts in June 2018 and will be ongoing for one year. Arcadis is the lead consultant with HKV_Lijn in Water and Deltares and two local engineering companies as sub-consultants.
The specific tasks for the intern may change during the assignment, which asks for a pro-active, flexible and open-minded attitude. You will be involved in: data collection, support to field surveys (if possible) , setting up a numerical flow and sediment transport model (Delft3D) together with our international experts, assessing potential river engineering measures, writing reports, desk research, networking, organization of events and capacity building/training activities of Myanmar young professionals and governmental staff in your field of expertise. You may also be involved in the development of a physical scale model of the river stretch at with the local technical university. Final choice of your tasks depends on your capabilities and will be jointly agreed with team leader in Yangon and project manager from Arcadis.
- The candidate has finished the first three years of an academic training (WO / BSc) with good results and is following a master program (MSc) in Civil Engineering; preferably a specialization or interest in river engineering.
- Understanding of the basics of Delft3D is a pre.
- International working experience is a pre.
- Willingness to train Myanmar engineers is a must.
- Cultural sensitivity is a must.
- Network skills and a business-like mindset are a pre.
- Being able to deal with fixed deadlines and good language skills in English and Dutch for communication and reporting is required.
Arcadis has a standard financial arrangement for internships of 450 €/month. You are responsible yourself for the costs for accommodation, transport, flight, insurances, vaccinations and a business visa.
Interested candidates can contact Tanya Huizer, firstname.lastname@example.org